Occasionally you will come across a deal for a 99¢ .com domain on sites like 1and1 or GoDaddy. Sadly, if you're like me, you probably won't need one when that deal is happening.
As of this writing (5/30/14), .com domains on GoDaddy are on "sale" for $12.99 (they claim that they are normally $14.99).
How about it we knock off another $11.82?
Instructions to get a $1.17 .com domain:
1. Google "godaddy 99 cent"
2. Click on the link for the GoDaddy advertisement:
3. Enter the .com domain you want:
4. If the domain is available there will be a popup congratulating you. Click "Add":
5. You will be taken to a page that allows you to review your order. You'll see a total of $11.34. What the heck!?
6. No worries! Simply change the "Term" dropdown selector from "2 years" to "1 year" and voilà!
Create a new account on GoDaddy to make sure this will work.
Another tip: you can the same Gmail email to create multiple Gmail "emails" by inserting a "+" and some text before the @ sign (example: firstname.lastname@example.org)